Sunday, October 10, 2010

Move over shoes and shopping... here comes Champagne!

So lets digress from shoes and shopping for just a few moments to pay homage to my third love… Champagne.  Anyone who knows me knows how much I love champagne.  Even the likes of VISA, AMEX and Mastercard know I love it, and they call me monthly to let me know they know… haha just kidding, well...sort of.

As fate so kindly has it, one of the best Champagne bars is right across the road from The Embassy Suites.  Perfectly named “Pops”... its only right that I popped on right over.

My “Pop” (otherwise known as Dad) would not be so pleased I was about to acquaint myself with Pops.  Recently after a pricey dinner at Café Sydney he pulled me aside and said “I have never spent $151 on a bottle of champagne in my life!!”.  I said well blame my friend Turbo for that.  A case of Veuve for Christmas one year and I was hooked.  Doesn’t look like that finance plan is going to work out just yet.  Sorry Pop, but if it’s worth relocating to start it, then I am pleased to say the liquor stores here retail Veuve US$39.  As Australia retails from $65 onwards I think yes... must find a residency application.

So I popped into Pops and it is crowded.  Not the kind of crowded where you wish you hadn’t left the house, but "every seat taken" kind of crowded.  Business it seems for the champagne crowd is booming.  I’m in.

The Champagne list is sensational, and ten minutes of mouth watering choices I opt for a half bottle.  One glass is just too fleeting and absolutely not enough time to write out this blog!

Half bottle ordered, Duck confit and Frites are on the way.  I couldn’t be happier!  Well, I guess I could…. If only I had have gone for the Frois Gras. However as it comes on a brioche base (and I’m gluten intolerant) I’m not quite sure this is quite the place to eat it with my finger.

Great atmosphere, I feel really great.  Chicago is great and I try to forget that I am sitting here like a Nigel no mates at the bar.

The couple next to me are really nice – Celebrating their 10th Wedding Anniversary. Very cute.  They just live around the corner and seem to have a lot to talk about.  They include me in most of their conversation.  I didn’t ask if they have kids, though as they went for the same half bottle of “Gaston Chiquet Brut” as I did, I am guessing that they do.

Just got the Frites.. and they are GARLIC FRITES! I am appalled though the girls next to me seem excited.  I pass them along and practically beg them to eat all of them.

Not that I’ll be meeting anyone tonight.  Two girls to my left and a married couple on my right, chances remain very slim. I do know someone however who recently met a guy walking across the street.  Yes. SERIOUSLY.  While walking across a street!   You know as a note, that upsets people like me.  But very excited for her...  I believe he is talking rings. Big rings.  Mental note...Must start paying more attention.  Must start to look up!

So the frites are gone and the bar guy (Michael) is impressed.  “Beautiful and Generous” he says… Funny line....  I look up! 

So Michael proceeded to look after me so well, two glasses of Bollinger followed, as did the richest slice of mud cake tasting almost flourless… it was worth the swelling and I was in heaven!

Two hours later and I was having the time of my life with new best friends Michael, the girls and the wedding couple.

Thanks Pops!

I am a Nigel no mates no more!

No comments:

Post a Comment