Sunday, October 3, 2010

Chicago Baby


Chicago – 30th September

Arrived in Chicago September 30th and getting out of O’Hare Airport to the city took longer than the flight from LA!  I had nowhere to be at any given time, so I was really quite impressed with myself that I decided to take the shuttle bus.  Well actually, I missed the doors for the taxis, and stumbled across the shuttle exit, saw that they drop me off at my hotel, and jumped on. Shuttle buses are a great (and cheap!) way to see city surroundings before you get dropped off at a hotel.
Interestingly I wasn’t tired.  13 hours from Sydney to LA flew by.  I wonder if I had actually conditioned myself the day before by working 19 hours straight.  Probably. 
I was really chirpy.  Very unlike me after a long haul flight.  It must have been the Premium Economy that gave me the spring in my step.  It is definitely the way to go. “Economy economy” just sucks.  You have people in front practically sitting on your lap if they dare move the seat back an inch (and the majority do). Jammed packed cabins, and wearing my knees as earings for 13 hours certainly isn’t the top of my list. Premium on the other hand gives you an extra 5 inches.  Amazing what 5 inches will do for comfort.  Surprisingly a lot, and to be honest I’m reluctant to tell everyone about this little gem.  Premium had a ton of seats free than the coach folks, and I made very good use of those 2 extra seats.

Arriving at The Embassy Suites on North State Street, I was the last to be delivered from the shuttle which was perfect for me. As I sat there quite chuffed with myself for the travel journey so far, the doors of the shuttle flung open with the bell boy/guy/man hurling through the door to grab my luggage.  Ah crap, it’s America - he’s going to want a tip.  So we make it through the doors (no more than five steps away) and as I find my way to the check in counter he is standing next to me like a small pet at dinner time. Crap, tip.  So I open my wallet and all that stares back at me is a $50, a $10 and a $1.  He can’t possibly want more than a $1 but seemed very disappointed that I hadn’t given him the $10.  I look at him like he can’t be serious, as that would equate to $2 a step.  Surely if that is the going rate, I am in the wrong job.  He is still standing there when I hear “next please” at the check in. Saved. I mumble to him that I’ll get him next time and make up for it.  I am not sure I will.  I’m still bothered because it just doesn’t seem right that it could possibly cost more than that.  As I am shuffling with 2 suitcases in tow I am mentally calculating if 100 people walk through that door a day and make the same 5 step journey… that’s an extra $100 a day for him. That’s nuts!

Falling asleep was easy as you can imagine and for my first day at the office I was up bright and early.  5am early.  Don’t you just love jetlag.  Not one to waste time, I jumped up and went through a few emails, dressed, free breakfast on level 2 and set off for 155 North Wacker.

What a building! What an address! It seems premium didn’t stop when I left United Airlines! In fact, this building is simply first class. Kudos to Servcorp. Floor to ceiling glass and the most incredible view of Lake Michigan greeted me as I walked out of the elevator. 100% first class.

Met the lovely Servcorp ladies, Manager Angela, Receptionist Hilary and Personal Assistant Jessica - they are a great team.  The clients will most certainly love them.  All things being fair, this would be one of the best floors Servcorp occupy.  The marble finishes, the bright train carriage artwork and the snap of orange create a crisp modern feel. I would D.I.E to come to work here everyday. The business lounge workstation area is contemporary with private booth hubs, the corridors are spacious and I am told that the 9foot ceilings are unheard of in the city. This fit out takes the Executive Suite Industry to another level. Just awesome.

So my day was away and a few meetings and the 55th Annual Gold Coast Fashion Award Show benefiting The Children’s Memorial Hospital at the Hilton on Michigan were on the agenda.  With a balmy 20 degrees it was as if Chicago knew there was a visitor in town.  Just kidding.  The 2010 Designer award went to Bibhu Mohapatra.  Past winners of this coveted award include Donna Karan 1988, and last years winner Romona Keveza featured one of her designs on every red carpet event this season. Inspirational.

The day flew by and at 5pm I was beat.  5.30pm I was back to the hotel and I am sure by 6pm I was asleep! 

Oh don’t you just love jetlag.

2 comments:

  1. YAY I am your first follower hehe.
    Welcome to the world of blogging....just warning you, this can become an addictive habbit! Have you seen my silly blog?
    www.dutchessroz.blogspot.com
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your post on Midway Airport Parking. Thanks for sharing such an important post. Can you tell me, which companies and agencies provide the airport parking facilities in Chicago at Affordable rates?

    ReplyDelete